Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Like sands through the hour glass

I have spent the last 19.5 years of my life in a sleepy town called Dunedin. It just so happens that this sleepy town is also the 6th largest city in my country, just to give some perspective. Dunedin sits nestled among the hills of what was once a giant shield volcano. The sunny weather begins in January and often lasts until early April. Halfway through the month the southerlies pick up, bringing chilly winds straight from the south pole. I have fond memories of winter. There were many long nights warming my limbs in front of the fire, and freezing excursions on the way to school, navigating the ice so graciously painted by Mr. Frost in the early morn.

I am drawing to the end of Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace. The chief insight I have garnered from this novel is that time is a luxury we shall never possess. For me the holy life is that very quest for a solid footing upon the sheer cliff of time and change.

At the time of writing this, I have 12 days left here in Dunedin, that's 1 day for every 2 years I have lived in this fine hamlet of the South. I look back on my time here through rose tinted glasses, and stare timidly in the face of an uncertain future.

metta
Jack

1 comments:

Waruna said...

Greetings Jack,

I stumbled upon the Dhamma Wheel Forum today and enjoyed reading some of your insightful posts there :)

Hi, I am Waruna and lived in Dunedin since 2004 but moved up north to Auckland in Feb 2010. I used to hang out with Richman every now and then and I am not sure whether I met you when Ajahn Chandako payed a visit to Dunedin in 2008.

Anyways just wanted to send you best wishes as I read from your blog that you are about to be ordained in a few weeks. Are you ordaining in NZ?

Cheers,
Waruna :)
You can reach me at waruna_lk AT yahoo DOT com if you wish.